Small Business Email Marketing is Dead!
Or is it? As a matter of fact, it is not! You could go as far as to say some small business email marketing campaigns are keeping businesses very much alive. Why is that? Well, you might have heard that nobody reads emails any more, or all emails are spam, or (and this is a really interesting one), fans are better than emails. The reality is that email marketing is still a profitable way to reach and engage customers.
Before we go on I want to make one thing perfectly clear: I am talking about permission based email marketing, for example, where the small business has provided a clear value to entice a prospect to subscribe to their email. This could be a free video series, an e-report or by actually purchasing a product.
If the subscriber has given you their permission to provide them with more value on a regular basis and if you have a well structured and designed small business email marketing campaign, then that is exactly what you can provide.
What are the benefits of small business email marketing?
- Minimal cost – There are email marketing platforms that provide free services to small businesses up to a certain number of database contacts, e.g. Mailchimp allows you to have up to 2000 users and send 12000 emails a months for free. If you increase your email list and require more advanced analytics and reporting you can scale up. Consider what benefit it would have on your small business if you made ten extra sales a month, or even one extra sale!
- Frequency – Once you have the email system in place you can send as many emails as you like. Compare this to sending 50 letters and how much that might cost you.
- Multiple formats – Email marketing solutions allow you to send information to your subscriber in whatever format you choose: Simple text, images, or video.
- No limit on size– If you were sending a DVD or a brochure to a client it would cost in terms of shipping and packaging. With email there is no associated cost.
- Automated – Once the system is set up and you have written the copy for the follow up emails then you can relax knowing that no matter what point in the sequence a person is at, they will receive the correct email. Without automation, how difficult would it be to try and orchestrate 50 different emails to 70 different people?
- Personalized – Email marketing solutions allow you to make the message personal to each and every individual.
- Personal Branding Strategy – Email gives to you the ability to set yourself apart from the masses. It allows you to continue building your relationship with the subscriber and highlights the influence of your small online business.
Having a well structured and thought out email marketing campaign can be a well advised addition to an ongoing business strategy that will provide a positive investment for your small business.
Leverage small business email marketing to grow your brand and educate your subscribers about your business: position yourself as an authority and you will see the reward on investment.
Do you use email marketing in your business? Do you get positive results?